Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Naperville Sprint 7-12-07

400 meter swim
12.4 mile bike (though my computer read 13.5)
3.1 mile run

Rich and I were both very much looking forward to this race, not the least of which was because of the huge disappointment of pulling out of the Lake Zurich race the week prior due to weather conditions. After enduring 2 hours of chilling rain and uncertainty, we decided to pull ourselves out even though it looked as though the race would still go on albeit delayed.

The rain had turned the sloped, grassy transition area into a muddy, slippery morass with huge, ankle deep puddles throughout. What was supposed to have been Rich's "A" race and my prelude to the Chicago Tri would've been something far less and potentially dangerous. So we decided to pack it up and head home. It was a tough thing for me to swallow feeling as it did as if we had just up and quit before even hitting the starting line. As penance for that huge transgression, I put myself through a 5 1/2 mile run in the hottest, thickest, steamiest part of the day that left me dripping and still disappointed in myself but at least feeling that I had done something.

So it was with a sinking heart that I woke with a start at 3:30 am on Sunday morning to the sound of wind screaming around the house and the sight of the big tree outside our bedroom window violently being whipped back and forth til it seemed it would break in half. There were glimpses of lightning in the distance and thunder rumbled it's announcement of the storm that was bearing down.

At the sound of my uttered expletive, Rich sat up beside me and, taking in the situation, added expletives of his own. Then, proclaiming that with winds moving at that rate, the storm was sure to pass quickly, he promptly went back to sleep. I, however, was not so confident and tossed and turned as the angry sounds of the storm held me captive and reflected my disposition. By the time we woke again at 5am, however, Rich's words proved true and the skies were wonderfully clear and the roads rapidly drying in the warm air.

We got to the transition area and were greeted by familiar and friendly faces almost immediately. That is definitely one nice thing about hometown races - there's nearly always a supporter either in the crowd or as a fellow participant.

Lining up at the time trial swim start, Rich decided to go off earlier with a faster time group, while I hung back a bit - not feeling as confident in my swim time even though the distance was so short. The frustration of this tactic was having to wait so long to get going into the race, but the benefit was being able to see Rich as he exited the water - looking strong, fast and focused.

Finally hitting the water after what seemed an interminable wait, I enjoyed the empty space around me that the time trial start afforded. That swim start format is one of the joys of this race - particularly as it is held in that tight quarry setting. The women's Subaru sprint race that's held there every year earlier in the summer is a nightmare of a swim with the swarms of people, novice racers and tight quarters. This swim felt effortless and I was amazed at each turn at how fast it seemed I was reaching those markers.

Exiting the swim and moving through transition, I was off onto my favorite section - the bike! Grabbing the Blue Demon (yes, I have named my bike - if you saw her, you'd be inspired to do the same) off the racks and running to the mount area, I was just hoping the streets had dried to where I would not have to worry about compromising speed for safety. As I got underway, I realized there was no worry there, the streets - save a puddle or two - were nearly bone dry.

I felt as if I was sailing through the bike, putting up speeds of up to 26-27mph in some areas, at least momentarily anyway (on a downhill with wind behind me), and feeling great. At one point, as I entered the final leg of my second lap and saw that I was holding a 24mph pace, an orange streak blazed past me. Glancing over at the speed demon jetting by, I saw the "69" number marked on his calf denoting his age. Wow - how cool is that - I wish I could achieve that kind of speed now let alone when I'm his age!

Coming off the bike at the entrance to transition, I hear Coach Joe yell encouragement and while running through transition area, I hear a voice yell "Go White Seat!" from within the small enclosure. Lifting a hand in acknowledgement but without looking, I assume the voice belongs to Chris from The Bike Shop as he cleans up his area after already obliterating the course and getting ready to head out. After he patiently helped me try out most - if not all - available bike seats to find the perfect fit once I purchased my new bike and, after a long ride upon bringing it home, realizing that the seat I had selected was simply NOT going to work - he and my husband, I suppose, are justified in making fun of the perhaps unorthodox, yet quite striking in my opinion, color of the final selection. Hey - I like it and it also helps me find my spot in transition a bit easier amidst all those black seats!

Embarking on the run and feeling the familiar Jello-leg sensation that begins any triathlon run, I hear Rich's voice in my head telling me he's confident I can do a sub-8 run today. I'm not so sure, but I pump my arms just like Barb Lindquist told us to do back in that tri-clinic I took back before the season started, in hopes that my legs would follow in speed and turnover. I have a nagging feeling, despite the effort, that my run pace is not on target with my goal.

Coming through the Naperville River Walk area towards the finish and all the crowds of people lining the course, I see Rich, Steve and others from the ET coaching/training group and, hearing them cheer me on towards the finish, kick into my final sprint to end the race.

Final time: 1:15:50 (5th in my age group)

All in all, not a bad race. I had really hoped to finish a little bit better, but am overall happy with my performance. Regardless of race distance - whether sprint or half ironman, I know the areas where I need to improve. For me, the sprint races are a chance to truly exhilarate in the sport. An opportunity to give yourself permission, each time, to go a little farther, push yourself a little more to see JUST HOW FAST you can go -- maybe what might amount to be an all out effort for that day, all the while knowing the total expenditure of energy will be completely manageable - little to no soreness or tightness the next day.

Sprint races are like candy. Those little treats/indulgences you grant yourself while you're working on that really hard goal - whether half or full ironman or whatever else. Next year's goal of Ironman will be something completely different. Can I do it? Can I keep up with the training? Can I prevent myself from burning out in the process? Do I have the will, the determination and the spirit to finish it on that day despite whatever conditions are thrown at me? That is a much different test and one I am so excited (and nervous) to face. Yet, in between now and then, it's good to indulge in a little candy.

No comments: